These are the old school way to make pickles. Fermented for 3-10 days for the perfect taste and nutritional benefit.
- 4 Persian cucumbers, cut into spears
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1-2 leaves and stems fresh dill
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Pinch of black tea (optional, keeps the pickles more crisp)
- Mix the water with the sea salt to make the brine for the pickles, set aside
- Put herbs and spices in the bottom of a pint size mason jar
- Pack the cucumber spears in the mason jar tightly so they won’t float up or use a pickles weight to make sure they stay submerged under the brine
- Pour the brine into the mason jar until it completely covers the cucumbers, almost coming to the top of the jar
- Screw on the jar’s lid and let sit on the counter for 3-10 days. The longer they sit more more sour they’ll be.
- During the first couple days check to make sure there’s no built up air inside the jar, if you can’t push down the top, unscrew the lid and quickly screw it back on to release the the extra air.